HONDURAS – In a peaceful walk that COpINH was carrying out at this moment, employees of DESA-Agua Zarca and the mayor of San Francisco de Ojuera and the National party are detaining and harassing more than 100 compañeros that are part of the walk in San Francisco de Ojuera. These detentions are being supported by the National military of Honduras, private security guards, and police.
- We demand respect for the right to protest and the right to walk to the Gualcarque River to defend life and lenca territory.
- We denounce the DESA engineer Sergio Rodriguez as well as the mayor Raul Pineda and groups of the national party for threatening the physical and emotional integrity of our compañeros. We call for urgent solidarity!
- At this moment, more people from Rio Blanco are coming to where we are and together, towards the installations of DESA-Agua Zarca and The mayor of San Francisco de Ojuera.Rivers cannot be sold, they are taken care of and defended. Call numbers below and demand:
1. Request the immediate stop to all harassment of the community of Rio Blanco and members of COPINH.
2. Remind the following individuals that Berta Caceres of Copinh has protective measures from the Inter-American commission of human rights.
3. Demand respect for the rights of indigenous people who were not consulted regarding the construction of a hydroelectric project on the gualcarque River.
Please write me with the responses that you receive.
Ministry of Security, Julian Pacheco: 011-504-9456‑3699